Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Celebrate books%3A Novels from Oprah%27s Book Club%2C magazine and show%21

Celebrate books%3A Novels from Oprah%27s Book Club%2C magazine and show%21 Wow, wouldn't you know it. She's currently reading ANNA KARENINA. That takes me back to my third year of college. I was taking a Creative Writing course with a grad student teaching. I can somewhat remember her name, but what really comes to mind is "penguin". I don't know why. But it does. The only things that we had to read were short stories, poems, and theory on writing. That summer I had started reading ANNA and was quite proud of myself because I was about a third of the way done. Anyone that has ever read a Russian novel knows how complex they are. So, as a youngster, reading this book w/out help from a class, I was quite proud of myself. Until this class. We were about a minute away from the bell and she decided to blurt out the end of this book. No one prompted her. She just decided to use the imagery of the end of this book to prove some minute point that she was making. I wanted to slap her! I remember standing and staring at her for about two minutes. One of my pet peeves has always been people who ruin endings. And with her rush of words describing the end of this beautiful novel, I saw all of my hard work wash away. It was disappointing. To this day, I have never finished that book because I can never think about that book without thinking of this teacher and becoming very upset. Penguin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home