Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Them

Freshman Year of High School

I knew an artist, a bi-sexual republican, and a vampire. The artist was a gorgeous Asian, who sold drawings of pictures that people would give her. I didn't find this out 'til the end of senior year. The republican wanted to be president, even though we kept telling her that her own party hated her. One day on a job interview, she was laughed at when she honestly said that her goal in life was to become a lawyer and then president. She would have made a great lawyer.
And then there was the vampire. She also claimed to be a druid (even though all of the druidic families had been killed by the Romans). Although she was always so depressed, I remember her as being the one that was always laughing.
I have no idea what happened to these girls after high school. The four years that we kinda sorta hung out, as I suppose always happened with me and anyone I met, I remember as being four of the most eye-opening for me. Let me put it this way, I didn’t really go out and party until I was about 20. But these girls let me in on a world where it was okay to be different. It was okay to have a personality while wearing the same uniform as everyone else. They were the ones who introduced me to Rocky Horror. That teachers were people, not perfect role models. That there was such a thing as not doing your homework all of the time, and still getting a good grade. That thinking against the norm was what the teachers were really wanting, not the same garbled b.s. year after year.

I’m still working on a few of those.
I always wondered what I would be remembered as.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home