Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Yippie-ky-ai-aye!



For most people, Chuck Norris does it for them. Not me. I'm a Bruce Willis girl. He cracks me up, but the best part is that his characters are always tangible; there's that part you can always connect with. Hudson Hawk, Death Becomes Her, The Fifth Element, The Jackal, The Whole Nine Yards, Sin City...he's been great in all of them whether he's a cop or a crook. (In fact, I think if they did a remake of "Thief" they wouldn't know which side to put him on.) And last night I saw "Live Free or Die Hard" and guess what? It was great. Below are spoilers, not too in depth, but enough if you hate to hear anything about the movie beforehand.



SPOILERS:
PROS: Bruce Willis got bloody really early in the movie - when it happened I almost said out loud "But...that's not supposed to happen until the last scene!" Did this mean the end for John McClane?
The movie didn't hinge on that 'one thing' that so many other movies love to pull out during the climax. (E.g. some trifle fact in the beginning of the movie is the ace in the hero's pocket at the end of the movie when at any other time he would have lost the game.)
Kevin Smith playing...well...Kevin Smith. I bet he crapped his pants working with Bruce Willis. I know I would. (Just like in that scene in Ocean's Twelve...what? You forgot Bruce Willis was in Ocean's Twelve? Go! Watch it now!) I'm a bit surprised that, in the end, Kevin Smith didn't ask John McClane "Is she hot?"
I giggled every time someone said "Armageddon" to Bruce Willis - definitely something to drink to. By the third time I expected him to roll his eyes and then start singing "On a Jet Plane". Because, if Armageddon were to happen, then who would you rather have getting $h!t done than Bruce Willis?
Amazing stunts. Typically today's stunts are about the bigger and better explosion, whether it's a train, car or baby carriage, expect a big boom. In Live Free or Die Hard, there were plenty of places where they could have put huge, forced explosions, but didn't. Thank gods! Be sure to check out the scope of the 'traffic' stunts near the beginning of the movie.
McClane's daughter TOTALLY could have kicked the villian's @$$.
Two words: Senior Detective.



CONS: I didn't like the main villian. Mostly because he suffered from WLB (Whiny Little B!tch) Syndrome. I wanted to hand him some tissues thru out the movie. And policemen's daughters don't just ask to see the badge, they call in the damn badge number!
Apparently all of the tech/hacker stuff was wrong.
Not as much interaction with local workers like there was in Die Hard: With a Vengeance. Like, remember the aquaduct scene?
The techie finally fires a gun...AND HE ONLY USED ONE HAND! I'm pretty sure he closed his eyes too.
I'm surprised he didn't kick that pilot.
For a second, the actress playing the daughter looked like Jena Malone. But it wasn't.
Seeing McClane lost in all of the technological mumbo-jumbo. Like the expression 'don't bring a knife to a gun fight'...well...don't bring an old, toughened cop to a 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00100000 01101111 01100110 01100110.



*COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE MOVIE: This song is stuck in my head.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home