Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Shimmy Fest 2006

The colors were vibrant, music inspiring and all around you heard the soft 'ching-ching-chinga' sounds of women walking around and picking up costumes to try them on. It started with a zaghareet and people were pulled out of the audience to dance with the ladies.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The audience was of all ages, including several children. Before I attended the event, I mentioned that I would be going to a bellydance workshop and I noticed several people got a strange look on their face. It seems that, at least in the rural south, there are still some negative connotations attached to bellydancers.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Women of all ages danced. There were Isis wings, flame dancers as well as the swords.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sadly my pictures of the candle dancers didn't turn out so well, and from what we were told by the announcer...it was an especially good show, especially with all of the hairspray the dancers wore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Several troops and dancers came to the event. Desert Fire, a local troop. My favorite dancer name still has to be Al'seea Al'soon. Very Arkansas.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mirage from Russellville performed quite nicely as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The final performance was by Princess Farhana, straight out of Hollywood. (She told me later that she loved my kitty cat purse!)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I really wanted this outfit. This one would have been nice too. I just couldn't afford it...this month. Yes, yes, Glenn was sad. Although I am tempted to learn how to make my own costumes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home