Thursday, May 05, 2005

Please don't take my leg!!!

When I was little, I remember wanting to be a veterinarian. But then I hastily decided against it because I could never put to sleep anyone's beloved pet. That or doing a serious operation where I knew the animal would be left in pain. I figured by the time I was 82 that I would have a lot of land, littered with animals hobbling around in crutches. It was really hard for me to understand how to let go of the thing you love the most. I still have a hard time with letting go. Spring cleaning every year helps. Especially during "parole" hearings for knicknacks that I continually hold on to for "just another year". It's now my dream to have a zen house when I am 82.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you.

I come from a family of sheep farmers that would only sell the wool, not the meat. As the sheep got older they were moved to the home paddock and into a sort of retirement area. They all had names too. The locals thought my family were all loonies and they became something of a local legend in an area where toughness is the most important attribute, not animal welfare.

Now I'm a city slicker my wife has threatened to kill me if I save another cat from the street by bringing it home to keep.

5/05/2005 02:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home