Friday, October 01, 2004

October 1st

I love October! It's my favorite month! And today started perfect with beautiful rain! Yeah! I took pictures this morning before I went in to work. Oye, cubicles! I'm looking forward to this month. Nothing dramatic going on yet. I just hope it starts out right. September ended badly. Yesterday, after I dropped off a co-worker, I was a block away from my home when a lady standing by the side of the road waved me down. She asked if I could drive her to the bus station since her taxi was late and she needed to get there in twenty minutes. I told her that I had no idea where the bus station was. She went inside a local office and asked for directions. Normally, I don't do this, I either drive off or give some excuse. But something here seemed wrong. When she got into my car, she told me that she was trying to get away from her boyfriend who had been beating her for the last year. I was shocked! But, we picked up her luggage and off we went! I was so nervous about what I had gotten myself into. Would her boyfriend be waiting at the bus station? Would he track her down? or me? What if she was lying and was about to pull out a gun once we got on the road? I tried to call my husband, but no answer. I tried to talk with the girl (we never exchanged names). She was really nervous and talked a lot at first, then got quiet. She said that she was going to go home to Michigan, and that her boyfriend would get home in about 15 minutes. The entire time I kept looking around to make sure we weren't being followed, and all the time I kept thinking that this girl had a 98% chance of being killed by her boyfriend. I had studied domestic violence in school, and consider myself an activist against it. I was so frightened, but kept trying to calm her down. Maybe that would help me too, and not get us into a carwreck. Fifteen minutes later we found the bus station, a nice elderly man helped us carry her bags inside. She said I was too little to help, but managed anyway. We hugged, and I left her at the station, hoping that she would safely find her way back to her family. When I got home, I saw her boyfriend drive by and prayed that he wouldn't go after her. She had told me that her boyfriend almost decided to stay home because he said his horoscope wasn't very good for that day. That unnerved me because of my avid horoscope wariness. Am I like her boyfriend? Do I have similar traits as a violent man? How could I be anything like what I am most against? I thought about playing a violent video game when I got home, but decided a hot shower would be best. Happy 1st of October, may your month be well, fun and safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home