Monday, October 03, 2005

For Nicole, My Day At the Ocean

We walked along Nantucket Sound after being in the car for almost twenty hours. It was just like you would think. Little houses with sidewalks washed in sand. The smell of water nearby, and little groups of tourists looking amazed at everything the locals had come to expect. I wish we could have walked around more, but I was thrilled when I started to catch my first glimpse of the sea. I realized how lucky I was to get to fulfill my 'life's dream' of finally getting to see the ocean.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yes, it was just a little inlet, but to me it was like waking up to a dream. We walked down to the beach, where I quickly proceeded to take off my shoes and socks. Glenn let me lean on him and was resisted the urge to give me one swift P U S H! (Although I don't think I would have blamed him.) And then i stepped in. Letting my feet sink into the sand a little bit. Felt the prickle of sharp shells against my skin, and the cool water wrap around my ankles. I got tingly.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I gave myself a minute to just stand there and soak in the view of sail boats in the harbor, children running around just as excited to be there, and adults trying to find some time away from their daily routine. I even bent down to dip my hand in the water to taste it. Salty. Wonderful. I almost wanted to drink it. Bottle it up and save some for my birthday. Then I handed over the camera to Glenn. I walked along the water and imagined what my life in Nantuckett might have been like.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Spending all night Friday on the beach with a bonfire. Playing music and laughing with friends as the sun went down and the brawts cooked. That night we would have long talks sitting on the pier, and long moments under it. The rosy fingers of dawn would warm our faces as we woke to the roar of waves beckoning us to play. I might be tempted to celebrate the morning in my husband's arms, while a warm cup of tea or cocoa warms our hands. Then we'd attempt to surf and laugh at the numerous times I fall off the board, but manage to come back up with a smile because there is no place else I would rather be than the water.

Instead, I collect some sea shells, as do my friends, and I will think of the times that could have been, had I stayed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home