Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Free to Decide

My horoscope for this first week in September:
When I went to a hard-core rock festival recently, all but one of the bands I heard made abundant use of the f-word. They invoked it so often, both in their songs and between-song patter, that it got boring. The lone group that departed from the norm did express gleeful rage, but it was with a phrase I rarely hear anymore. "I don't give a damn," the singer shouted at the end of one song. I laughed at the archaic modesty of the expression, but it stayed with me more than the histrionics the other bands preferred. That brings me to the advice I have for you, Pisces: Get to the root of your anger and then render it with an understated craft that sets it apart from the overwrought venting that everyone has grown numb to.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home